Monday, July 11, 2011

Hollyhock Farm



We finally got here on Saturday night after a long circuitous route. We were under the impression that I 29 was now open. It wasn't. We went on numerous detours. We finally got to Vermillion and dropped Alex off at school, stopped in Yankton to get something to eat, and got to the farm at Midnight. The flooding around Blair, Nebraska is pretty awesome. Water everywhere. It looks like an inland sea; five foot sandbags on both sides of the highway.


For those of you who haven't heard, John and I have bought the old homestead farm from his siblings. Christy has christened it HOLLYHOCK FARM. If you were here, you would see why. We have some pictures from about a hundred years ago with the whole family, two vintage cars, and a garden of hollyhocks in front of the farm house. I always liked that old picture and when a brother-in-law (Ranzie), gave me a gallon bag of hollyhock seeds, I sprinkled them all along the chain link fence. VOILA! Hollyhocks! They bloomed this week. Second week in July must be hollyhock season. It's been in the 90's here with no rain so it's getting pretty dry. I spent yesterday watering and weeding. Thank God for central air. We had thunder and lightening last night, but no water.

Today we will go to Yankton to pick up some supplies. We will be here about a week before we head out to visit all the old homesteads.

My husband insisted I get a new Iphone and Hotspot so I can use my little laptop computer and keep in contact while at the farm and on the road. I am now connected. Christy is helping me so my frustration with learning new things is a bit lower than it would be otherwise. She is very patient. The learning curve is pretty scary. I have trouble just staying on the home keys.


From the Farm Foof/Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment