Sunday, July 24, 2011

La Crescent Memories

Sunday, July 24,2011
I was born in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 1944, which is just across the Mississippi River from La Crescent, Minnesota where my family was living at the time. I was number five out of seven. I have flashes of memories from that time, and yesterday we stopped to bring those memories into focus.
At first we lived in an old house behind the church. I remember the screen door slamming when going into the kitchen: My sisters discussing gum on the headboard and whether there was any flavor left when you chewed it again the next morning; The swing hanging from the tree; Kitty falling out of the loft in the old barn; and that’s about all from my 4 year old memory. We then moved to a basement house my father had built (probably promised to build the house on top when there was money.) The only room enclosed with walls was the bathroom. Curtains and bookcases divided up the other rooms. My brother Raoul, being the only boy shared the corner room with Mom’s sewing machine. The five girls got the other corner. Mom and Dad’s room between us and the living room. An old pot belley stove in the hall had one chair in front of it. The first one up got the chair to get dressed in. (The only time in my life I wanted to be first up.) It was all quite efficient and practical, just not much privacy.
We had all gravel roads at the time and walked the three blocks to Crucifixion Catholic school. Jeany thought she wanted to be a Nun at the time and made herself a Nun’s habit. I thought that was wonderful. I would walk home past Bob’s grocery and call my mom and ask if I could charge 5 cents for penny candy. She always said yes. I don’t remember having toys at the time, we just used our imaginations and played in the neighborhood. It seems quite wonderful when I think back on it.
My Dad and neighbors rigged up a ski tow on the hill one year. I was too small to ski, but I think Kitty and Raoul got to ski. We got to go watch. Dad also flooded an empty lot nearby for a skating rink. He got in trouble with the fire department for using all the water they might need for a fire. We moved away when I was in 3rd grade. I was happy, my Mother cried.




















We traveled from there to Sheboygan, Wisc., stopping in Fond du Lac to get some plat maps from the library. We couldn’t make it in time for the Sheboygan library. We checked in at our hotel and headed out to find the homestead and cemetery in Oostburg. The homestead is now a cornfield. We walked all over the cemetery, and found Great Great Grandpa Samuel Hickinbotham’s stone in the front corner. His was the first one. Teaches you to start at the beginning doesn’t it. Grandpa Samuel had twelve children, but I don’t see any sign of any other Hickenbothams. Did they all leave?

Our work was done, so we headed down to the waterfront. We were dazed and amazed: Beautiful beaches, red lighthouse, wonderful hotels, marinas, gorgeous houses and an inland sea; Why have we not heard about this great little city before? We ate a good dinner and wandered back. Christy worked out, and I fell asleep. Today we head for New York State.
Foof

No comments:

Post a Comment